The first BALMAS Info day took place in Ancona (Italy), the 5th of June 2014 at the Mole Vanvitelliana. The meeting was organized by the CNR-ISMAR of Ancona, in order to inform the Italian stakeholders, maritime and local authorities, general public and mass-media about the launch of the BALMAS project and its mission.
Thanks to many interesting oral presentations from the invited speakers, representative of the associated Italian partners (i.e. CNR-ISMAR, ISPRA, Marine Research Centre Foundation, OGS, the Italian Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport - Coast Guard and University of Molise), the BALMAS main aim and principal objectives were shown to the audience.
The intent of the meeting was to make aware the public of the ballast water issue, state of the art and related problems for the Adriatic sea, as well as major risks for the human health. Each partner clearly explained the principal research activities covered by its own group, field work and what is still lacking to cope with the problem and management of the ballast water in the Adriatic sea.
The oral presentations stimulated an animated debate between the public and the speakers. Unclear points and some suggestion to improve methodologies and/or the Port Baseline Survey emerged.
Stakeholders and general public that attended the meeting were:
- Adriaferries (Maritime Agency)
- Ancona Port authority
- Adriatic – Ionian Initiative
- Ancona Coast Guard
- Marche Region
- University of Marche ( Dean of the University)
- IZSUM – ZOOPROFILATTICO (Research Centre for food safety and human health)
- Natural Park of Monte Conero
- CNR researchers and post-docs from different groups of research (e.g. Physical Oceanography, Marine chemistry)
- Marine biology students
- Mass-media - TGR (www.tgr.rai.it, TV attending the meeting)